Wednesday 8 June 2011

Running, running and a little more running (Part 5)

So, far, my training is on track and going well. I have had wonderful offers of support from the least expected places.

My training regime currently entails running approximately 60 km a week. This includes the 20 km’s along the Swan River to work a couple of times a week. On Saturday mornings, I usually do some pace work and run the bridges course circling Canning Bridge to the Mount Henry Bridge. And to build fitness I tackle the hills of the Zamia trial near Challenge Stadium once a week. All of which fits in around the circuit training classes at Mind Body and Soul Fitness Studio. The strength training I do at the gym will help to ensure my body holds up to the 42 kms but the greatest help and strength comes from the people at the gym who every now and then remind me that I may actually be able to achieve my crazy goal.

To ensure my body holds up I also try and squeeze in either a Bikram yoga class (That’s 90 minutes in 40 degrees, of me constantly trying to reach my toes, which seem to get further away as the class goes on), or a sedate session at the pool, to build core strength.

After what seem like a never ending summer, the cooler weather has finally arrived so I can begin with some early morning training to acclimatise to the New York weather. The marathon is run in November, and was a chilly 7 degrees last year.

The training program that I am following gradually builds up the km’s I run each week and peaks at an number of kilometres per week that I am even too scared to write just yet. As part of my training I have recently taken part in the 14km HBF Run for a Reason (only a third of the distance I have to cover – a daunting thought!) I am aiming to take part in the Perth half marathon in July and the City to Surf half marathon in August.

Whenever my training gets tough or I just don’t feel like getting out there, I think of Winston or Sheldon Zinn from Brooklyn, who at the age of 87, completed the New York Marathon last year in 8 hours 8 minutes and 41 seconds.

One of my favourite quotes is by the American marathon runner, John Bingham who said “The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”

HBF Run for a Reason - one third the distance, eeeekkkk.

No comments:

Post a Comment