Friday 22 April 2011

So let me share my story (Part 1)

If this were the end right now, it would be November 6th 2011 and I would be crossing the finishing line of the New York Marathon on a magnificent autumn morning, having just fulfilled a dream of a lifetime!

But, for now, let me start and the beginning.

After high school, I went to university and completed a Bachelor of Accounting degree and started working as a young graduate accountant for HLB Mann Judd. In addition to working full time, I began my studies towards becoming a Chartered Accountant, which takes an additional 2 years.

As I’m sure you can imagine this was a huge challenge. I was working full time and using all of my spare time to study. So there wasn’t a lot of time left over to do anything else. I was very boring – a typical accountant.


When you do nothing but work and study, you tend not to spend any money and so by the time I had completed the Chartered Accounting program, I had saved enough money to do a little travelling, and embarked upon a four month expedition which took me through the United States, including New York, then on to Mexico, Cuba, England, France and Scotland.

The trip was fantastic and the experiences unparalled. In Cuba, I hired a Peugeot 307 hatchback which doubled as my hotel room. I travelled around, across and through Cuba leaving no stone unturned and the car’s odometer spinning.  I got to Scotland and couldn’t work out why I could not understand a word in this place where English is the spoken language. After some stiff upper lip and pies in England, I moved on to France to soak up some culture and extensively sampled ALL the delicious pastries Paris had to offer.

The trip was amazing, but after four months away, I looked forward to returning home to a clean bed, clothes that would fit me and work-life balance now that my studies were over. Anyone who has travelled overseas and had a good time, would understand that I returned to Perth penniless, with just a job to go back to and some major savings to get underway.

Stay tuned………



My transportation/accommodation in Cuba

Hanging out in Cuba with Alaina

I have no words.......
Ancient ruins in Mexico

First time skiing in Canada - please to report no broken bones

The love affair with New York begins

A wee glacier

A wee clock

A wee Coliseum
A wee lion

No comments:

Post a Comment